Monday, November 07, 2005

Serenity

Amidst a way-too-busy weekend (four parties in four days!) we managed to get to the cinema to see Joss Whedon's new movie, Serenity. For those who've missed the fuss (and there hasn't been much in Australia, though check out the fan websites!), Serenity follows on from the TV series Firefly, which lasted less than a season but gathered an obsessive fan base. Andrew and I have been watching Firefly on DVD for the last few weeks... perhaps a little too much Firefly, as I've found myself using Firefly lingo in all sorts of inappropriate contexts. (Goram thesis!)
Serenity is fun in the same way that Firefly is fun. Strong female characters, witty repartee, plot twists galore and lots of really scary baddies. It's a Western set in space, which is a surprisingly good idea! If you get a chance to see it, do.

2 comments:

Stephen G said...

As one reviewer said it's Star Wars for adults. The language, characterisation and the dialogue are what makes it worth watching. Apparently there are rumors of another couple of films possible but I'm more than happy with just this one.

Joanna said...

I'd love another series of Firefly but given that one of my favorite characters has been killed off, I'm not sure it would be quite the same....