Friday, May 04, 2007

deleted post

My husband was a bit alarmed by my last post about my use of Google Books as a research short-cut, because he thought it might come back to bite me. Imagine, at my first serious job interview, a leading question about how I use Google Books! So I've deleted it. But really, my conscience is clear. I would never imply or suggest that I had read an entire book or was familiar with the details of its argument merely on the strength of reading the introduction. But I would happily use relevant quotes from a section of a book I had read - and comment on those quotes - without reading the whole book. This is standard practice and no different whether one accesses the book in the library or on Google Book. The fact that you don't always have access to the whole book on Google Book does, however, add some sense of dodgy dealing to the whole process!

3 comments:

Stephen G said...

Darn. Was just going to link to the post. Will cite you in general when posting the link to the article you mentioned.

Anyway, I think as libaries move towards more in the way of electronic documents etc., the skill to critically evaluate a text based upon small parts of it becomes crucial (and possible futile). No longer can you flick through the book to quickly see where the argument is going, nor often access the endnotes easily.

I've used eBooks through the uni library as a last resort, and I read far less of them then I would a paper version. Often, to check a quote I'd seen somewhere, but you do lose sight of the big picture.

Joanna said...

Sorry, Stephen! Hope you found the other link OK. It's an interesting question about what new reading skills are required/developed by the internet. A bit like the ability to download individual songs rather than an entire album - you can lose a lot of the overall concept.

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!