Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Hallelujah! Get happy!

Less than two months since I submitted my thesis, and the examiners' reports are back! The two eminent scholars (whose sandals I am not worthy to untie) who read the thesis did their job thoroughly. A nice balance of compliments and criticism: they unerringly identified the methodological flaw at the heart of the work, which had bothered me from the beginning - I still don't know how to fix it! Overall they were both enthusiastic, and passed it without amendment. I just have to bind it, hand it in, and wait for the letter that proclaims me 'all but degree'! And decide whether I want to try and turn it into a book (which, as both examiners said, would require a fair bit of reframing. It's a slippery little sucker!)
So sincere thanks to those of you who've seen me through this! There will be a party, and you're all invited.

5 comments:

Joanna said...

Thanks! There are so many horror stories about misplaced theses, nutty markers, administrative tangles - I'm very grateful to get such a quick and thorough response.

berekkah said...

hello- just a random blogger, but wanted to say that your profile picture is superlative.

~rebekkah~

Joanna said...

Thanks, Rebekkah - me, at about nine or ten, reading one of my favorite books!

Glen O'Brien said...

Congratulations Joanna. We met in 2003 at Otira during a Wesley Tercentenary. I have just read your excellent article on Wesley's hymns in the Journal of Religious History so I thought I'd google your name. I submitted my history PhD thesis at La Trobe last year and waited six months for the examiner's reports! Thankfully they were happy with it. I teach at Kingsley College a Wesleyan school of theology here in Melbourne and my area is in Wesley and Methodism. We publish an academic journal "Aldersgate Papers" and I'd love to get a submission from you. We're not quite a peer reviewed journal yet but we're getting there. Also it'd be great to have you share the findings of your research with my Wesleyan Theology class sometime. We meet on Monday mornings from 9.15-11.45. The network of Wesley scholars is pretty small in Melbourne so it'd be great to perhaps formalise some links. Anyway the invitations there. Grace and Peace.

Joanna said...

Thanks, Glen - I'll be in touch.