Friday, September 29, 2006

avoidance

This may not mean very much to those of you who are unaware of the feverish excitement that surrounds Australian Rules football in Melbourne, but:
Every year, as a matter of personal amusement, I make it my aim to try not to know which teams are in the Grand Final. Initially, this is not too difficult - just a matter of being generally ignorant about the teams and their progress. As the season progresses, however, and particularly as the Grand Final approaches, it becomes increasingly challenging. I have to politely excuse myself from conversations, avoid certain sections of the newspaper, listen to my iPod on the tram. Last year I succeeded, this year I unintentionally discovered that the Sydney Swans were once again on the menu. But I've got about 24 hours to not find out who the second team is. The pressure is on, and I'm seriously considering skipping the departmental coffee break, as way too dangerous. I mean, there are people here writing their PhDs on Aussie Rules!

4 comments:

Simone R. said...

Good luck Jo. Until I read this post I had no idea who was in the AFL grand final. But I live in Brisbane...

Joanna said...

Well, that's a good excuse. Sadly, I failed in my attempt to remain ignorant: I opened the Age website, and in a moment of foolishness, glanced at the top story. Swans v. Eagles! D'oh!
Still, I didn't know who won until this morning...

Ludicrousity said...

That's pretty impressive really! How can you not be bombarded with footy information in Melbourne?! Or Australia in general really. I'm into the footy (which I guess is not very girly of me), but I'm not a hard core fan or anything. I'm just interested in it.

By the way, great blog!

Joanna said...

Thanks! Actually, one of the things that appeals to me about AFL is how many women are fans. Anyway, girly, schmirly, I say!