Friday, February 10, 2006

beards

February heralds an influx of PhD students back into the building I work in, prompting the question: is there some kind of deep connection between PhDs and beards? I rarely see a beard away from university, whereas a male postgrad without a beard is notable. And once Andrew and I were at a work dinner for one of the organizations he works with... table after table of cleanshaven men in business suits. Andrew said he'd introduce me to some of the scientists who work for the organization - and there they were, a row of boys with beards. I felt immediately at home.
What's with beards? And is there a female equivalent?

1 comment:

Joanna said...

Well, I plead not guilty on the cat charge. And the ANU study is just depressing! My husband has a theory about 'ácademic monsterism' that relates to all this, and I'll have to blog about it some time (at the risk of alienating him from all my academic friends!)