Tuesday, January 17, 2006

the thesis writer's friend

The submission date for my thesis is looming, and I am spending much of my time trying to think through difficult theoretical questions that I've avoided for the last three years. My hot tip for this kind of intellectual dilemma is: go swimming! Yesterday I was wrestling with a thorny theoretical problem and took time off for some laps. First ten laps: mind in state of total confusion. Second ten laps: meditative calm. Third ten laps: effective mental effort. Fourth and fifth ten laps: solution to problem emerges as if by magic. This has happened more than once - somehow the repetition and physical effort does wonders for my mind!

2 comments:

myleswerntz said...

i've found that running has done the same for me. once i got past the first few weeks of getting in shape and quit paying attention to my breathing, i found that following confusion and calm came almost a Zen-like clarity where I could take apart the problem in its smallest parts and start to creatively poke and prod.

Joanna said...

Yes, I found the same in my running days. However I can't get the same effect walking, cycling or doing weights - I think it's the combination of mindless repetition and aerobic effort that's necessary.