Monday, January 30, 2006

methodist monday (2)

Last Monday I commented that my reading of Methodist letters suggested that 'ordinary' people were often theologically aware and engaged. I've just been re-reading a couple of letters from a woman named Sarah Mason, who wrote to the Wesley brothers in the 1740s explaining her theological position. She gives a thorough defense of her moderate Calvinism, and demonstrates a clear understanding of the debates surrounding election. For example:
...though I cannot say I can fully close in [agree] with everything I hear, yet I have reason to bless God that I have heard what i trust has been made of use both for instruction and establishment in the faith once delivered to the saints... As to the doctrine of universal redemption what must I say, methinks Christ did in some sense die for all because the Scripture tells me he tasted death for every man - and that he is the Saviour of all men (but especially of them that believe) - but that he died in the fullest snese for and intentionally to save all the fallen race methinks it cannot be; because how then is it that all are not actually in the fullest sense made partakers of complete and eternal salvation.
She goes on to discuss a number of passages in Mark, and rejects the doctrine of reprobation. In another letter she quotes Hebrews 12:23 to argue that perfection is not possible in this life. She concludes:
The great restorer of all things is not yet come in that way we are waiting for, and it is with pleasure I think of those words, "He restoreth my Soul" (and those "I am the Lord that Healeth thee"). I believe it is through grace, under his healing hand; and that it is not in the power of men, or devils to pluck it thence... and methinks to this sorry, sinful soul of mine, these words are sweetly encouraging.
Again, I think these letters show both a theological awareness and a conviction that theology had significance for daily life. For both Sarah Wesley and Sarah Mason, too, their theological convictions were 'sweetly encouraging' in the face of life's trials.

No comments: