Thursday, June 19, 2008

Essential Reading


I am currently working my way through the wonderful Macquarie PEN Anthology of Aboriginal Literature. I can't recommend it highly enough: it should be essential reading for all Australians, particularly Christians. The title is a bit misleading in its use of the word 'literature' - it is in fact a selection of Aboriginal writing. The first section includes letters, petitions and articles written by Aboriginal people from the beginning of white settlement. So it's as much a historical anthology as a literary one.
I haven't had much time for blogging lately, but over the next few weeks I plan to post my thoughts on the works in the Anthology. Let me encourage you to go out and buy a copy - it is a very slim and readable volume, and the selections are mainly short pieces - perfect for reading on the train, while waiting to see the doctor, in ad breaks. And it will change the way you see this country.
* The photo is a detail from the 'missionary window' at St John's Anglican Church, Toorak. The window depicts men of different ethnic groups coming to Jesus. Interestingly, only the Aboriginal and African man are kneeling.

2 comments:

Ian said...

If you want us to track the book down, you'll have to give us more than just a title (since a quick web search reveals half a dozen books with very similar titles).

Joanna said...

Sorry, Ian! That is the exact title and when I googled it I only got the correct book. But it's Allen & Unwin, 2008. Hope you can find it!