Monday, July 16, 2007

The Historian


On the long flight back from Perth recently, I got stuck into Elizabeth Kostova's book The Historian. With a title like that, it had to be worth reading! I had heard good things, and it was indeed an engrossing read. It's basically a re-telling of the story of Dracula, recounted through a family quest across centuries and continents. Along the way, there are plenty of gothic chills, romantic sub-plots and sweeping historical narratives (for people who like that kind of thing). It's a kind of like The Da Vinci Code would have been if it was well-written, historically informed, and not blindingly predictable. My only quibble is that at times I thought it took itself a bit too seriously... perhaps it's just my disturbing sense of humour, but I see obvious comic potential in the subject of the search for Dracula! Overall, though, I recommend it.
Perhaps not as late-night reading for beautiful young maidens, though!

5 comments:

Stephen G said...

I really, really wanted to like it, but it didn't grip me. I think the taking itself a little too seriously was a factor for me. And so, it joined the pile of unfinished novels that I took back to the library.

However, given it was one of a number of unfinished novels (of all sorts of genres) then maybe I just wasn't in the head space for it and will enjoy it another time.

Joanna said...

I enjoyed it, but I was a bit surprised by the level of the hype. I think Neal Stephenson's Baroque Trilogy has spoiled me for such historical sagas... those books are so much funnier, interesting and more dramatic than anything else I've read in the genre.

ChristianMarxistFortean said...

Have you ever read Charles Maturin's Melmoth the Wanderer? It sounds a bit similar, though Melmoth was probably more akin to Faust. But we see glimpses of his shadowy existence through a variety of texts and stories read by Melmoth's descendant and told by a rescued Spanish escapee from a monastery. I think it's available in Penguin Classics.

Matt

Stephen G said...

I came to Neal Stephenson's 'Quicksilver' via his virtual reality stuff (e.g. Snow Crash), so it took a while to get into it. I enjoyed the first part of Quicksilver (being interested in the Royal Society) and then struggled with the second part. I'll go back and try it again in a month or two.

Joanna said...

Thanks for the recommendation, Matt - I'll have to check it out!
Stephen, DEFINITELY give the Baroque Trilogy another go!