Friday, February 16, 2007

Worth reading

A trip to our local library a couple of weeks ago netted a haul of fine reading, which I have been working my way through. I can recommend:
Annie Proulx, Bad Dirt - These short stories continue Proulx's fascination with Wyoming - they read like something Garrison Keillor would write after listening to the entire works of the Bronte family on tape. A mix of humourous eccentricity and gothic chills, all rooted deeply in the plains and forests of Wyoming.
Kazuo Ishiguro, Never Let Me Go - reading Kazuo Ishiguro is like finding yourself being carefully wrapped in strands of sadness by a very cunning spider. This book ranges from bittersweet to melancholy to heartbreaking and back again, through the rather unlikely combination of English boarding-school tale and futuristic sci-fi. It's very good and it's very, very sad.
Kate James, Women of the Gobi - not from the library, but I bought a copy because it was written by a woman I went to school with in India. After giving up on her attempts to fit the evangelical mold of her family, Kate became fascinated by the exploits of a trio of missionary women who travelled across the Gobi Desert in the early twentieth-century. She went to China to follow in their footsteps and through her journey try to confront her own loss of faith. Travel-writing can be self-indulgent, but this is self-reflective in the best sense - funny and interesting and very moving.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Jo, are you the Jo who was in my brother Jack's class at Hebron? Thanks for the lovely review, I'm glad you liked the book!
Kate James

Joanna said...

Indeed, it is I! I've been meaning to get in touch and say how much I loved the book - in fact,I'll email you now!

::aaron g:: said...

Thanks for the recommendation of Kazuo Ishiguro, Never Let Me Go. I've put it on hold at the library.

Joanna said...

You're welcome, Aaron, Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!