Tuesday, January 16, 2007

New Year, New Resolutions

I'm back at my desk after three relaxing weeks in Queensland, and along with my other fairly predictable new year's resolutions (eat more vegetables, pray more, swim more, file more, stress less, read the pile of books I collected in second-hand bookshops while on holiday) I am determined to get back into blogging. I have a couple of series in mind - one on history for the church (as opposed to 'church history'), one on WIlliam Cavanaugh's challenging book 'Torture and Eucharist' which I have recently started reading. This year I'm employed as a research fellow, working on a major project on 'missions and gender' in Australia - so that should make it into my posts as well. Thanks to those of you who have kept visiting this blog, and asked when I would get back to it - hopefully there will be something more regular for you to read from now on!

5 comments:

Meredith said...

sounds great jo - i really look forward to reading more about 'history for the church'. will this series have a geographical focus, at all? if you were doing something for the australian church, for example, some aboriginal and environmental history could be useful.

and also, where are you a reseacrh fellow? sounds like a big project - who else is working on it?? sounds good all over.

Joanna said...

Thanks, Meredith! I'm thinking about what it means to write history 'for' the church, rather than simply about it - ie. what value does history have for the church and how do we historians serve our brothers and sisters through our work? As I'm starting work on this missions project, I am particularly interested in what the Australian church needs to know about its history - and top of my list is the historical encounter between Aboriginal Australians and the church/Christianity. I'd love to hear your thoughs on what historians have to offer the church - maybe you could guest post!
I'm working at Melbourne Uni, as a research fellow all year and as a lecturer in second semester. It's an ARC project and Pat Grimshaw is CI. I'll be in Sydney to use the Mitchell Library, so maybe we could have coffee!
Simon, thanks for dropping by. I'm going to post a bit more about my women's project as well, after the stimulating conversation on your blog.

Meredith said...

coffee would be great Jo - shoot me an email when you're planning to be in town. my plan is to spend a couple of days each week at the mitchell this semester - i will definitely be around.

a question - to what extent was 'the chuch' your imagined audience for your thesis? ie, to what extent did you come to consider your work, its themes and arguments, something that the contemp church could / should usefully engage with? i'd be interested in your reflections on that (as I'll hopefully be doing a lot of writing this year!) and does writing 'for the church' mean we need to write differently?

Meredith said...

oh, and congrats on your research and lecturing jobs. its sooo great ot hear of recent PhD grads who've found work - especially in their actual area! its excellent.

Stephen G said...

Excellent. Looking forward to your posts.