Friday, September 16, 2005

demon on the desktop

Life in Crankersville changed forever last night: we got TV. After nearly four years of a TV-less marriage, Andrew inherited a TV card from a generous friend and has spent the last week or so getting it working. We can watch TV on our computer! A technical triumph, but I fear for our sanity and our marriage. To celebrate our possession we watched the late-night news on SBS - it took me two minutes before I was shouting at the screen. Tony Abbott (yes, him of 'as dead as John Brogden's career' infamy) taunting the Opposition with the information that at least on his side of the House they were friends. Somehow watching people's faces brings home the whole empty horror of politicking in a way that reading the papers does not. Print provides a buffer between me and my elected representatives that I would like to hang on to. Watching them I might have to leave to the more spiritually and emotionally mature.

No comments: